-->

donderdag 20 september 2012

What Good Does Painting Do?: Is Painting a Selfish Act?

A painting friend recently told me that she stopped painting because she came to believe that it was a very self centered, selfish pursuit. This is a common perception, and one, I believe, many painters battle, from without and within. I think many of my friends, relatives, and acquaintances assumed that at some point I would have grown-up and abandoned this silly distraction/obsession. It takes so much time, attention, and effort - and - for what end? As someone who has dreams, hopes, and aspirations for changing the world for the better, and who is committed to her family, the question today is: Isn't painting just a huge waste of time and energy that could be used for better/more productive ends? This question concerns: a) Our relationships with friends, family, and co-workers, and b)Our larger actions in the world: Shouldn't we use our time and energy to help make the world a better place to live? PAINTING

1 opmerking:

  1. Ähm yes.Indeed painting can be a very selfish act.I've been painting for seven years now and i can only assume the above statement.I like landscapes very much hills,gardens and animals.You know no portraits.In my painting school there is a real landscape renaissance.And we have a running joke goin, there are more people in our pictures than in our living rooms...hahaha!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen